We celebrate Pinotage day on Saturday, 14 October. Here’s an epic Risotto recipe which you can indulge in with your favourite Pinotage (both in the dish and on the side).
The only rule is; if you won’t drink it, don’t cook with it.
Your mid-week dinner this week a bowl of rich rice, with a punch of smoked chorizo, tomato and Zevenwacht 7even Pinotage.
Red Wine Risotto, with Chorizo & Tomato
- Olive oil
- 1 small Onion; finely diced
- 1 clove of Garlic; finely diced
- 80g Smoked Chorizo sausage
- ½ a bunch of fresh Flat-Leaf Parsley; chopped
- 750ml–1 litre of Liquid Chicken/Vegetable Stock
- 1 x 400 g tin of quality Chopped Tomatoes
- 300g Arborio/Risotto Rice
- 200ml Zevenwacht 7even Pinotage red wine
- 50g *Parmesan Cheese, plus extra to serve
- Handful fresh Rocket leaves
*Can also replace Parmesan Cheese with Pecorino or high-fat, hard cheese of your choice
- Peel and finely chop the Onion and Garlic, finely dice the Chorizo.
- Clean finely chop the Parsley leaves, finely chopping the stalks as well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a wide, shallow pan. Add the Parsley stalks, Onion, Garlic and Chorizo to the heated oil and cook over a medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is softened/slightly translucent and the Chorizo is beginning to crisp up on the edges.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, heat the Liquid Stock with the tinned Tomatoes.
- In a separate pan, add the Arborio Rice to the cooked Onion mixture and stir to coat the grains. Cook over a high heat for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the grains have cracked and are slightly translucent at the tips, then pour in the Zevenwacht 7even Pinotage Red Wine.
- Stir well and cook until almost all the wine has evaporated. Add the hot stock and tomato mixture, ladle by ladle, stirring well with each addition, and only adding more when the previous ladle is almost fully absorbed. You may not need all of the mixture, or you may need to top it up with a little water.
The rice should be tender but with a little bite in the middle. When it’s cooked, add one last ladle of liquid.
- Finely grate the Parmesan/Cheese, then add to the pan with some seasoning. Stir well, take off the heat and cover. Leave for 5 minutes or so before stirring again, tasting and adjusting the seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve topped with extra grated Parmesan and the chopped parsley leaves, as well as a handful of fresh Rocket leaves.
ABOUT THE WINE
Zevenwacht Wine Estate, situated on the beautiful Stellenbosch Wine Route is a modern wine farm with a 300 year history. Owned and managed by the Johnson Family, the Estate has a strong commitment to historic and cultural preservation as well as conservation of the surrounding indigenous environment. Two prime farming locations provide the grapes for the Zevenwacht winery. The home vineyard on the Estate’s panoramic 450 hectare maritime influenced property, supplies the majority of the grapes. The farm Zevenrivieren, situated at the crest of the Helshoogte Pass, provides winemaker, Jacques Viljoen, with a boutique selection of grapes that add to the fascinating variety of the wines.
The intensely flavoured and impressively pigmented bunches were taken directly to specialized red wine fermentors for an overnight ‘cold-soak’. This allows for colour extraction early on in the winemaking process. Fermentation took place with temperatures peaking at 25º C. The wine was pressed off the skins directly after fermentation. Following malolactic fermentation, it was matured for 6 months on French Oak staves.
A vibrant, Pinotage with chocolate, plum and dark cherry aromas that follow through on the palate. A well integrated wine with firm dark chocolate tannin.
Savour now and over the next four years.
Relaxing with friends or as an Aperitif with some savoury bites. Drink slightly chilled to appreciate its vibrancy – just below European room temperature. Enjoy this medium bodied Pinotage with grilled yellowtail or snoek with grape or apricot jam and farm bread. Also an excellent partner to a pizza or braai.
For orders of Zevenwacht 7even Pinotage, and the other varietals of Zevenwacht, contact Amelia Visser from Vino de Vie for more pricelists and options.
Amelia Visser – Vino de Vie
Tel: 082 462 2636