Usually made from a combination of ingredients such as butter, coconut oil, nuts and seeds, fat bombs were initially designed for those following the low carb-high fat diet. Fat Bombs will give you a good increase in energy and blood ketone levels, therefore, they will help you lose weight. These morsels are great at increasing your “fat consumption” on the go and will make you feel fuller for longer; due to the insanely high fat-content.
Here’s my recipe for a Basic Fat Bomb
Yield: 12 medium fat bombs
Recommended portion: 2 fat bombs = 1 serving
You will need:
- Silicon mould (similiar to the moulds used for chocolate making or a silicon ice-cube tray)
- Microwave container/small pan
- Measuring cup (250ml)
- Measuring spoon (15ml)
Tip: Chill the silicon mould before using; the fat bombs will set more quickly.
- 1 Cup Coconut Oil – heat until liquid and set aside (approximately 30 seconds in the microwave)
- 1 Cup Low-carb Nut Butter – melt until runny (approximately 30 seconds in the microwave)
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened Coco Powder (add to the nut butter and coconut oil)
- 1 Tablespoon Confectioners Sweetener (add to the mixture)
- Combine all the ingredients and give it a good stir to incorporate. For good measure, add the container into the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into the pre-chilled silicon mould and then add to the freezer.
- Keep them in the freezer.
- Unmould the fat bombs and keep them in a ziplock bag, easy for on-the-go fat snacks.
You can add (allowed) nuts and seeds to the fat bombs or make two batches of different nut butters and layer the mould to give some variety to the fat bombs.
I used OhMega Almond Nut Butter and Xylitol sweetener.