The KFC-craving is real during the lock down period. Last week (week 2 of lock down) was dedicated to some “comfort baking”, this week we’ve accepted that the scales have tipped (literally) and the junk food craving is sticking. The only thing sticking to my fingers today should be these sticky Asian Chicken Wings (our cheat “dunked wings” solution).
Use the below recipe and create finger-licking chicken wings with a kick.
MISE EN PLACE (preparation)
I used the following equipment:
- Sharp, good quality Chef Knife;
- Chopping board;
- Large bowl;
- Medium bowl (for Asian Sauce);
- Measuring spoons;
- Large pan (for frying);
- Saucepan (for sauce);
- Baking Tray;
- Wooden Spoon;
- Serving Plate/Platter
Prepare all your ingredients before you start cooking.
|1.5 kg||Chicken wings||Good quality wings, cleaned and prepped|
|2 Tablespoons||Baking Powder||30ml|
|½ teaspoon||Black Pepper||Pinch|
|¾ teaspoon||Fine Salt||3ml|
|3 Tablespoons||Spring Onions, chopped||45ml|
|1 teaspoon||Vegetable Oil||5ml|
|To taste||Salt and Pepper|
|1 thumb size, according to taste||Fresh Ginger||Fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated|
|1 Tablespoon||Sweet Chilli Sauce||15ml; Good quality sauce|
|4 Tablespoons||Brown Sugar||60ml|
|5 Tablespoons||Dark Soy Sauce||75ml|
|1 teaspoon||Crushed Lemon Grass||Crush fresh lemon grass in mortar and pestle or mini food processer|
|2 cloves||Garlic||Peeled and minced|
|2 medium-sized||Fresh Chilli||Finely diced (can remove seeds for less intense heat).|
- Preheat the oven to 120 degrees Celsius and place a rack on a large baking tray.
- Cut each wing at the joint so you have a mini wing and a drumette. Dry the wings with paper towels, then place in a large bowl and add the baking powder, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Note – it’s important to dry the wings first so they only get a light coating. Discard any remaining coating once tossed together.
- Place in a single layer on the rack, skin side up. Place on the lower shelf of the oven for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, turn the oven up to 220 degrees Celsius, rotate the tray and place on a higher shelf (higher middle) in the oven for 45-50 minutes until the wings are golden and crispy. Take out of the oven to cool slightly.
How to prepare Chicken Wings:
- Place all of the sauce ingredients into a saucepan, stir and bring to the boil. Allow to bubble for 5-10 minutes until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly (it will thicken more as it cools). Turn off the heat.
- Place the wings in a large bowl and very carefully pour over the sticky sauce (be careful, it will VERY hot). Toss to combine, then serve topped with chopped spring onions.
Serve your fresh, hot wings (dripping in sauce) as is, or serve with roasted potato wedges (use the wedges to mop up any left-over sauce).