Go on! Treat yourself! Build a brunch-brêkkie to start the week off on a great start.
Originating in the Middle East, this popular brunch dish combines perfectly cooked eggs nested into an aromatically spiced stew of tomatoes and capsicum. For an extra-special spin, this version includes slices of oozing mozzarella.
MISE EN PLACE (preparation)
Serves: 4 portions
Prepare all your ingredients prior to cooking.
Equipment you need:
- Bowls (for ingredients)
- Sharp, clean, Chef Knife
- Grater (if grating cheese)
- Chopping board
- Frying spoon/spatula/wooden spoon
- Serving plate
Serve with warm, chunky Ciabatta and a side of freshly brewed coffee.
|1 large||Red Onion, thinly sliced|
|2||Red Peppers, thinly sliced|
|4 cloves||Garlic, finely chopped|
|2 teaspoons||Sweet Paprika||10ml|
|½ teaspoon||Cumin Seeds||3ml|
|2 x 400g cans||Whole tomatoes in juices, coarsely chopped|
|To taste||Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|150g||Mozzarella cheese, sliced||1 ½ cups|
|4 – 6||Eggs|
|To taste||Chopped Fresh Coriander|
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add thinly sliced red pepper and onion and cook until onion starts to soften.
- Add garlic and spices, stir to combine with oil and let cook for a few minutes.
- Pour tomatoes into frying pan and mix to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Make wells in the mixture, and break eggs into wells.
- Place slices of mozzarella in between eggs.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until egg whites are set.
- Top with coriander and serve immediately.
Add 100g of shredded spinach when you cook the onions for an extra vegetable boost.