The only question should be; what CAN’T you add to fries?
Whether they are named “loaded fries, cheese fries, cheesy chips or pub fries“, I am a lover of it! Loaded fries is comfort food, fattening and indulgent.
What do you eat them with? Anything!
Some research has indicated they are popular with Chicken Wings, Hamburgers or as a side to a perfectly cooked steak. Whatever your preference is, nobody can dispute that.
Here’s my take on a nachos-inspired loaded fries dish.
MISE EN PLACE (preparation):
- Prepare all your ingredients before cooking.
- Pre-cook the potatoes/sweet potatoes in boiling (salted) water until soft.
- Pre-cook the bacon until crispy.
- *Tomato Salsa & Guacamole on the side.
You will need:
- Bowls for ingredients.
- Baking tray for fries.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
YIELD: 2 portions
|500gr||Potatoes; suitable for frying||Alternatively you can use Sweet Potato.|
|1 cup||Cheddar cheese; grated||250ml|
|½ cup||Sour Cream||125ml|
|1/3 cup||Tomato Salsa*||80ml|
|½ cup||Bacon bits; fried until crispy||125ml|
|2 Tablespoons||Chives/Green Onion; chopped||30ml|
|1/3 cup||Pickled Jalapeños||Optional|
On the side:
Home-made or store-bought Guacamole
|3 cups||Tomatoes; chopped||750ml|
|½ cup||Green Pepper; chopped||125ml|
|1 cup||Onion, diced||250ml|
|¼ cup||Fresh Coriander; minced||60ml|
|2 Tablespoons||Lime juice||30ml|
Fresh Jalapeño Pepper; chopped (including seeds)
|½ teaspoon||Ground Cumin|
|½ teaspoon||Ground Black Pepper|
|Chop and slice all the ingredients as indicated in ingredients list.
Stir the tomatoes, green pepper, onion, coriander, lime juice, jalapeno pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Serve. Makes 5 cups.
- Slice the pre-cooked potato into sticks.
- Bake the fries in the pre-heated oven until they become slightly crispy on the edges.
- When fries are done, top with grated cheddar and return to the oven until melted and bubbling. About 3-5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to a platter and top with sour cream, salsa, bacon bits, chives and onions.
- Serve with Tomato Salsa and Guacamole on the side.
- Garnish with fresh coriander/parsley over the toppings.
Adding Jalapeños is up to your own discretion. You can determine how HOT you want it.
You can also prepare all the components and let your guests “dress” their own fries when fries are crispy from the oven.