Stocking up the pantry with home-made snacks are easier now than ever. The smell of freshly-baked cookies will waft through the house and greet you like a warm hug.
These cookies were produced by the batches back in the day. We would bake sheets and sheets of these cookies in the hotel to fill huge jars for the spa, reception and tea times. It was a hit! And now you can also fill your jars with these delicious treats.
MISE EN PLACE (preparation):
- Prepare all the ingredients beforehand.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
You will need:
- Measuring spoons and cups.
- Sieve (for flour)
- Mixing bowls.
- Counter-top mixer / hand-held mixer.
- Greased oven-tray / cookie sheets.
YIELD: 40 medium-sized cookies
|120g||Butter (or margarine)||½ cup|
|125ml||White Sugar||½ cup|
|125ml||Brown Sugar||½ cup|
|3ml||Vanilla Essence||½ teaspoon|
|435ml||Self-raising Flour||1 ¾ cups|
|60g||Nuts (walnuts/pecan nuts/pistachios)|
- Measure/weight the ingredients.
- Using the mixer add the butter, sugars and vanilla essence together.
- Cream the butter/margarine, sugars and vanilla essence together.
- Gradually add the lightly beaten egg. Mix in the sifted flour and salt.
- Add the chocolate chips and chopped nuts, and mix well.
- Shape teaspoonfuls of the mixture into small balls and place on a lightly greased oven tray, allowing room for spreading. Push a few extra choc chips into each cookie if desired.
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 10–12 minutes.
- Let cool before placing in storage jars.