Looking for an alternative side dish to your braai?
Since lock-down the braai fires have been plentiful in our neighbourhood; smells of burning charcoal and wood followed by the charred meat make its way into our living room on “school nights”.
The South-African norm of braai broodjies, potato salad and potato-bake as side dishes must be perfected by now. Here’s an alternative to the usual repertoire of side dishes for your grilled meat.
Hasselback potatoes or Potato à la Hasselbacken are a type of baked potato, where they are cut about halfway through into thin fan-like slices.
MISE EN PLACE (preparation)
- Prepare all the ingredients beforehand.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
You will need:
- Large oven-tray/roasting tray.
- Serving spoon (to cut the potatoes).
- Large, clean Chef knife.
- Chopping board.
- Grinder for the peppercorns.
- Pastry brush
YIELD: Serves 8 as a side dish
|2½ kg||Medium Potatoes; scrubbed||Choose a variety of potatoes that is suitable for roasting.|
|2 ½ teaspoons||Black Peppercorns|
|120ml||Olive Oil||Little less than ½ cup|
|2||Large Lemons; zested|
|5||Cloves of Garlic|
|4||Generous sprigs of Fresh Rosemary|
|To taste||Sea Salt|
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Rest each potato on a large serving spoon and cut width-ways at 3mm intervals – cutting the potato on a spoon stops you slicing all the way through. Repeat with all the potatoes.
- Roughly grind the peppercorns with a pestle and mortar.
- Smash the garlic cloves and peel off the skin. Then pour the half of the olive oil on the baking tray and lay the garlic cloves, and rosemary on the tray as well.
- Place the sliced potatoes in the tray on top of the garlic and rosemary. Scatter the lemon zest over the potatoes with the sea salt and crushed peppercorns. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
- Roast on the bottom shelf of the oven for 1 hr-1 hr 15 mins until golden and tender (until the largest potato is fork tender)
- Then use tongs to gently squeeze the base of each potato to open up the folds. Use a pastry brush to brush the herb-infused pan oils over the top of each potato and in between the folds. Discard the garlic cloves if they are blackened.
- Serve warm.
How to cut Hasselback Potatoes at home: