Midweek meals can be a challenge. We’ve whipped up some mini meatballs, cooked in a tomato sauce, serving them with a side salad and Hasselback Potatoes.
These meatballs are cooked in the sauce, in the oven, for approximately 20 minutes. Leaving you enough time to throw together a quick dessert.
MISE EN PLACE (preparation):
You will need:
- Chopping board
- Sharp, clean Chef Knife
- Measuring spoons
- Oven-safe baking dish
- Frying pan
- Serving dish
YIELD: 4 Portions
|1 kg||Beef Mince|
|1||White Onion; peeled and grated|
|2 teaspoons||Dried Mixed Herbs||10ml|
|oil for greasing|
|15 ml||Olive Oil||1 tablespoon|
|2 cloves||Fresh Garlic; peeled and finely chopped|
|2||Bird Eye Chilli; finely chopped|
|1||White Onion; peeled and finely chopped|
|2 x 400gr||Tins chopped and peeled tomatoes|
|2 Tablespoons||Balsamic Vinegar||30ml|
|To season||Salt and Black Pepper|
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius; prepare an oven-safe baking dish.
- Add the mince in a mixing bowl, add the grated onion, egg, herbs and mix through with your hands.
- Grease an oven-safe baking dish with oil, and use some for your hands as well while rolling the mince into small “bouncy ball” size meatballs.
- Arrange in baking dish, set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion, garlic and chilli until soft. Add the tomato cans, set to a simmer and add the herbs, sugar, vinegar and seasoning – stirring while simmering for about 10 minutes.
- Cover the meatballs with sauce, and bake for 20 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius, stirring every now and then.
- After about 20 minutes, your meat should be cooked through, but if you like to add a bit of colour to the meatballs, you can add a few more minutes on the clock. Serve hot, with toasted bruschetta or Hasselback Potatoes.