Yeah, the novelty of baking and cooking from scratch is losing its appeal by now. I’ve resorted to box-baking.
I am a huge fan of the classical “peppermint crisp tart” (cliche, I know). But I was looking for a way to incorporate this into some “lock-down baking”. I have a box of choc-mint cake mix, caramel treat, and peppermint crisp chocolates in the cupboard.
So the peppermint crisp cupcake happened!
MISE EN PLACE (preparation):
- Prepare all the ingredients before commencing.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Spray the cupcake holders with non-stick spray.
You will need:
- Cupcake holders
- Mixing bowls.
- Measuring spoons and kitchen scale.
- Piping bag & nozzle.
- Sharp Chef Knife & chopping board.
- Wooden spoon.
- Kitchen stand mixer / handheld mixer.
YIELD: 12-14 cupcakes
- 1 x Chocolate / Chocolate Mint box mix
- Ingredients for box mix
ICING & TOPPING:
|80g||Stork Bake (or similar baking margarine); softened|
|250g||Icing Sugar; sifted||2 cups|
|1 x 360g||Tinned Caramel; whisked|
|1 x 150g||Peppermint Crisp chocolate bar; crushed|
|1 x 100g||Lindt Mint Intense chocolate bar||Dark chocolate bar, with no filling.|
- Prepare the box cake mix as per the instructions on the box.
- Bake 12 cupcakes according to the instructions on the box. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick inserted into the cake; the toothpick should come out clean without any batter or wet crumbs sticking to it. Remove them from the oven and set aside.
- Let the cupcakes cool on a wire rack before decorating.
- Prepare the icing and topping:Cream the Stork Bake and 2 tablespoons of caramel together until light and fluffy.
Add the sifted icing sugar and whip until light. Add half the peppermint crisp (keeping the rest for garnish).
Place the icing in a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
Pipe a teaspoonful of caramel into the centre of each cupcake. Add a pinch of crushed peppermint crisp on top of the caramel.
Pipe the icing around and on top of the caramel then sprinkle over shavings of dark chocolate.
- How to make the chocolate shavings: