Before you can make the ganache filling for this ultra lux chocolate tart, you have to master the pastry. I am sharing a simple and reliable pastry recipe with you, the filling is just a bonus!
You can use this pastry case recipe for small or large tarts, and is best suited for any sweet tarts. Add pastry cream to the tart or a curd filling and pipe high with meringue. Or stick to this rich and dreamy chocolate ganache as the highlight to any meal.
MISE EN PLACE (preparation):
- Prepare all the ingredients beforehand.
- Mixing bowls.
- Measuring spoons / kitchen scale.
- Wooden spoon.
- Kitchen stand mixer.
- 20 cm lose bottomed tart pan.
- Baking paper and dried beans / baking weights.
- Sharp, small knife.
- Small saucepan (for heating cream).
- Sharp, clean chef knife and chopping board.
YIELD: 1 x 20cm Chocolate Tart
|½ Cup||Butter; cubed||125ml|
|½ Cup||Icing sugar||125ml|
|1 ¼ Cups||Flour||310ml|
|½ teaspoon||Baking Powder||2-3ml|
|Pinch of Salt|
|300g||Dark Chocolate||Good quality|
|100g||Milk Chocolate||Good quality|
|Topped with berries, mini meringue or other decorative bits.|
- Combine the flour, baking powder, icing sugar and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the cubed butter and beat the mixture with an electric mixer.
- Add the egg and continue mixing.
- Shape the dough into a ball, press it a flat and cover in cling wrap.
- Please the dough in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.
- Roll the dough out and transfer the dough to a 20 cm lose bottomed tart pan and cut off the excess dough.
- Chill the crust for another 30 minutes before baking.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Cover the crust with foil or baking paper and fill the pan with dried beans or baking weights
- Bake the tart crust at 200 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes, then remove the baking paper and beans and continue baking the crust for another 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the tart crust from the oven and allow to cool.
- Chop chocolate into small chunks and place in a bowl with butter.
- Meanwhile, pour the cream into a small saucepan over medium heat and allow to simmer slightly.
- Pour the cream over the butter and chocolate then allow to stand for 5 minutes before stirring.
- Stir the chocolate mixture until all the ingredients are fully combined. It should be thick, but pourable.
- Pour the ganache into the cooled tart shell and place in the fridge for 1 hour to set.
Top the tart with fresh berries, mint, mini meringues or other decorative bits.