At times my own creativity runs out and then we make use of instant mixes. Not for the creativity but for the baking.
Today I am testing the Gourmet Cravings Original Cinnamon Rolls Baking Kit; which I purchased from Yuppiechef.com.
This baking kit makes for quick, easy baking with real ingredients and no preservatives, artificial colours or flavours. These cinnamon rolls are a real treat that you can make at home for teatime or as a dessert. Serve them warm with cream cheese and icing sugar glaze, with cream or ice cream, or try them with a chocolate sauce for added decadence.
- Cinnamon roll mix that makes 12 rolls.
- Easy to make and great for kids to learn to bake.
- Preservative free with no artificial colours and no artificial flavours.
All you need is 180ml milk, 1 cup butter or margarine, 1 egg and 60ml water.
- Includes instructions and a recipe for icing.
- Can be made vegan using vegan egg, milk and butter substitutes
Founded in 2011, Gourmet Cravings is a local company developing products that ensure memorable experiences in the kitchen and around the braai.
- Weight: 775g
- Ingredients: Flour, white cane sugar, cinnamon, corn starch, yeast, salt
- Allergens: Wheat
YUPPIECHEF NOTE:This product is a government-approved, essential goods item and can be delivered to you during the national lock-down.
Retail price from Yuppiechef: R50 (excluding delivery)
Let’s see how it went…..
- I added zest of Mandarins to the dough, and a touch of Mandarin juice to the icing. It’s very subtle but a little more “grown-up” than the overly sweet cinnamon roll you’ll find commercially.
- The instructions were super simple and easy to follow.
- The dirty dishes were minimal; usually baking can become very messy.
- The packet contained the fast acting yeast, the packet of flour and a packet of cinnamon sugar. The cinnamon sugar was excessive, I couldn’t use all of it on this bake (I have a plastic container of cinnamon sugar sitting in the pantry now for other bakes).
- The dough lends itself to creating other flavour combinations, which is great. Next time we will add caramelised nuts or choc chips to the rolls.
- It is your choice to add the frosting on the top; which you can also flavour, granted you have made provision for it with additional ingredients. The original box does not have frosting ingredients.
- The kitchen smelled incredible with the caramelised sugar and cinnamon in baked rolls. I would make it again just for the smell.