Yeah, the days have jumbled into one and it’s really difficult to distinguish between the start and the end of the week now.
And because we all need a bit of a treat “on a school night”, here’s our Meat-Free Monday Sliders recipe. And let’s be honest, I could eat burgers every day of the week.
MISE EN PLACE (preparation)
Prepare the ingredients before cooking commences.
- Mixing bowl
- Food processor (standard blade)
- Tin opener
- Weighing scales
- Measuring spoon
- Microplane (of zester/fine grater)
- Large baking tray
- Chopping board
- Serving board
- Large frying pan (30cm)
- Fish slice / Spatula
|FOR THE BEAN PATTIES|
|1 Handful||Fresh Coriander|
|1 x 410g||Tin of Mixed Beans|
|200g||Frozen Broad Beans|
|To Taste||Sea Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper|
|¼ teaspoon||Cayenne Pepper||A Pinch|
|½ teaspoon||Ground Cumin||2-3ml|
|½ teaspoon||Ground Coriander|
|1||Lemon; Zested with Microplane|
|1 heaped tablespoon||Plain Flour, plus extra for dusting|
|1½ tablespoons||Olive oil|
|FOR THE CHIPOTLE KALE COLESLAW|
|2 tablespoons||Apple Cider Vinegar||30ml|
|1 teaspoon||Dijon Mustard||5ml|
|1/2 teaspoon||Chipotle Paste||2-3 ml|
|1 cup||Cabbage (of choice); finely sliced||250ml|
|1/4 small||Red Cabbage; finely sliced|
|2||Spring onions; finely sliced|
Meat-free Burger Patties
- Pick the coriander leaves into a bowl, adding the stalks to a food processor.
- Drain the mixed beans over the sink into a sieve, then tip into the processor.
- Add the broad beans, a tiny pinch of salt and pepper, the cayenne pepper, ground cumin and ground coriander.
- Finely grate the zest from the lemon using a microplane/fine grater, then add to the processor along with 1 heaped tablespoon of flour.
- Whizz until fine and fully combined, scraping down the sides of the processor with a spatula, if needed.
- Divide the mixture in half, then divide each half into 4 equal-sized pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and flatten into a patty about 2cm thick, dusting your hands and the burgers with flour as you go.
- Place the burgers onto an oiled baking tray, pat with a little olive oil, then cover with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up, if you can.
- When you’re ready to cook the burgers, add 1½ tablespoons of olive oil to a large frying pan on a medium heat.
- Add the burgers for 2 to 3 minutes, pressing them down slightly with a fish slice / spatula. Once golden on the bottom, flip over and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
- Use a fish slice / spatula to place a burger into each burger bun.
- In a large bowl, mix the lime juice, apple cider vinegar, mustard and chipotle paste along with a pinch of salt. Add the vegetables and mix well.
- Stir in the mayonnaise and season to taste – you may like to add some more chipotle paste.
Serve the burger in the bun with salad leaves and a good dollop of the coleslaw.