Chocolate Beer Bread from a box
World Baking Day, it’s time to dig out that rolling pin and prepare something delicious!
Have a beer to spare? I am baking bread, I promise. A chocolate flavoured beer bread.
Today we are testing out the Barrett’s Ridge Beer Bread Kit – Chocolate flavour from Yuppiechef.com.
Homemade bread is the best, from the smell as it bakes, to spreading it with butter while still warm from the oven. This chocolate Barrett’s Ridge Beer Bread mix is simple, quick and delicious. Just add a brew of your choice, mix and pop in the oven to enjoy a freshly baked sweet treat at home.
- Chocolate beer bread making kit.
- Makes one standard loaf.
- Works well with Guinness, milk stout or a dark lager.
- Just pour into a bowl, add one 330ml beer – at room temperature to ensure activation with yeast – stir to combine and pour into a baking tin.
- About 45 minutes later, you’ll have a loaf of fresh bread to serve to friends and family.
- Try it toasted with thick chocolate spread and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Tip: melt 2 Tbs of butter and brush across the top of the dough before baking to make a delicious crust.
- You can also make bread with soda water or a non-alcoholic beer (for a similar flavour but without alcohol).
- Contains: 450g
- Ingredients: Wheat flour, sugar, cocoa, milk chocolate and baking powder.
- Contains gluten and dairy.
- Suitable for vegetarians.
Yuppiechef retail price: R65 (excluding delivery).
Yuppiechef Note: This product is a government-approved, essential goods item and can be delivered to you during the national lock-down.
(It is however “essential” that you have a load tin already).
Let’s see how it went….
Baking has never been this easy! The biggest challenge was opening the screw-cap beer.
It doesn’t produce a large loaf, but rather a small loaf packed with chocolatey flavour.
It was fun, and tasted good. (I actually prefer the savoury versions of the beer bread.)
From the website:
This particular beer bread mix can double-up as a brownie mix. Simply swap your standard loaf tin for a shallow baking tray and cut the chocolaty end-product into even squares. Perfect as a dessert served with ice cream and ideal for lunch boxes.
Which brew is best…
The Barrett’s Ridge bread bakers recommend pairing our chocolate mix with dark lager or stout. Not only do these two brews add to the deep dark colour of your loaf, but they also bring a touch of bitterness only the world’s best chocolates are known for.