The indulgences of winter and lock-down has jumbled into a sweet, sticky and warm mess. At least this treat was all of that.
Craving a baked pudding, but dreading the labour associated with home-made custard, I embarked on the search for a fail-proof baked chocolate pudding with its own sauce.
Generous scoops of ice-cream on the side, all was good in the world for a moment.
- 1 Cup of All-purpose Flour (250ml)
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder (10ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (2ml)
- 1/2 Cup of Granulated Sugar (125ml)
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons Cocoa (17ml)
- 1/2 Cup of Milk (125ml)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence (5ml)
- 1 Tablespoon Butter, melted (15ml)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Use a glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet ingredients and mix together.
- Add 1/2 cup of brown sugar (125ml), 2 tablespoons cocoa (30ml) and 1 3/4 cups (312ml) boiling water together. Slightly stir to dissolve the sugar and cocoa in the hot water.
- Before placing the batter in the oven, pour the brown sugar “syrup” over the batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes until done!
- Use good quality unsweetened cocoa for a rich taste.
- Pre-heat your oven before starting to mix the ingredients; because it goes quite quickly and you don’t want your batter to be sitting in the “brown sugar water mixture” too long.
- Don’t cook the “syrup”; just combine the water, brown sugar and cocoa and pour over the back of a spoon onto a batter. You don’t want crates of puddles in the batter either.
Scoop large spoons of steaming pudding and serve with the sauce at the bottom of the baking dish, even better when served with vanilla ice cream. Any chocolate-lovers dream!