I am sharing some exciting recipes for Meat-Free Monday in association with The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association.
They have been kind enough to share their delectable creations for mushroom alternatives to use for marvelous meals.
Take a look at this indulgent Fondue, perfect for sharing with fresh, warm, bread. Kick off the week with a sneaky brandy and warm cheesy mushrooms.
Served with: Oude Molen VSOP Cape Brandy
Yield: Serves 4
- 8 slices baguette
- olive oil, for brushing
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, peeled but kept whole
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 400g portabellini or button mushrooms, halved
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Bunch of fresh sage leaves
- 300g buffalo mozzarella, drained and torn into pieces
- Preheat oven on grill.
- Brush slices of baguette with a little olive oil and sprinkle them with salt.
- Grill until golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and rub with the garlic clove while still warm. Set aside.
- Heat a medium sized oven proof frying pan over high heat.
- Melt the butter and add the mushrooms, rosemary and sage.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Deglaze with a splash of brandy and flambé.
- Scatter with the mozzarella and place under the grill for 3-5 minutes or until melted and bubbling and beginning to brown. Serve immediately with the garlic toasts.
Keep an eye out for more delicious mushroom-creations to follow, especially delightful pairings with sparkling wine for International Cap Classique Day on 1st of September.
The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association (SAMFA) is the leading mushroom body of SA, and aims to promote the commercial farming and production of mushrooms throughout South Africa. SA Mushroom Farmers Association was established in 1989, and has since been the authoritative voice of the fresh mushroom industry.
Website, click here.
They feature an amazing Meal Planner to set you up for the week ahead, take a look here.