Kick the week off with Braai Bruchetta and Devil’s Peak Lager! What a way to start the week, join us for a #MeatFreeMonday and a beer. The Braai Mushroom Baguette pairs beautifully with the Devil’s Peak Lager. Support LOCAL brewers and producers for this match made in food-and-beer heaven.
Taken from South African Mushroom Farmer’s Association, click here.
2 large fresh white baguette, cut into 3 individual portions
6 Tbsp butter, softened
2 brown onion, sliced
2 green bell pepper, sliced
2 red bell pepper, sliced
500 g portabello mushrooms, thickly sliced
2 tsp mixed dried herbs
2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Set oven to grill setting and allow to heat.
- Slice the baguette portions in half and spread the softened butter on the inside of both halves. Toast the bread either in a pan over medium low heat or on the top rack of an oven until golden brown and crisp. Set aside.
- In a large pan sauté the mushroom slices in olive oil until golden brown. Season with mixed herbs, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In the same pan saute the onion and peppers for 5 min until they have softened.
- To construct the sandwich lay the bottom of each baguette portion on a baking sheet. Begin layering the onions and peppers,followed by a sprinkling of grated cheese, then mushrooms, then another sprinkle of cheese. Repeat until all toppings have been used or you have reached your desired level of filling.
- Place the sandwich halves in the oven under the grill. Grill for 2-3 min or until the cheese has melted. Remove from the oven, top with the other baguette half and serve.