Nothing like a homemade Beef Pie, well, not like this one! Take a look at the Mushroom, Leek & Lager Beef Pie by South African Mushroom Farmer’s Association, paired with Jack Black Brewer’s Lager. Kick back on a Tuesday and enjoy a beer with a hearty pie.
Recipe and pairing by SAMFA, click here.
Mushroom, Leek & Lager Beef Pie
1 kg beef chuck, cut into 2.5 cm chunks
4 leeks, washed very well and sliced
2 stalks celery, finely sliced
2 carrots, finely sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
⅓ cup flour
300 ml lager
2 cups beef stock
Handful fresh thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
500 g thickly sliced button or portabellinimushrooms
2 sheets puff pastry (enough to cover pie)
1 egg, beaten
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200˚C.
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large heavy based pot. Add the beef and brown all over. Cook in batches to avoid the beef sweating. Set aside.
- Turn heat down to medium and add a fresh drizzle of olive oil. Add leeks, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook until softened and sweet.
- Add flour and stir through coating all the vegetables. Add beer, beef stock, thyme and bay leaves and stir to mix well. Bring to simmer and then cover.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to cook for 2hours until the beef if tender. Remove the lid and allow sauce to reduce until thickened
- Add mushrooms and mix them in to evenly distribute. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Pour pie filling into a pie/ baking dish.(Roughly 25 x 20 x 4.5 cm)
- Bake until pastry is golden and cooked.